|| Further Information
|Team Leader, Team Coaches
||Oceania Regional Polynesian Championships
||Tuesday 11 Sept
The management for teams can consist of the following positions:
- Team Leader
- Operations Manager
- Team Coach
We take the appointment of managers, coaches and support staff for teams that represent Athletics New Zealand very seriously.
All Team Leaders, Operations Managers and Team Coaches are required to be registered with Athletics New Zealand Gold Membership.
These are some of the qualities we are looking for in team appointments:
- Applicants should be proficient in a range of technical events and knowledge. For example, we may require a coach experienced in Hammer, Shot Put, and Discus at a high level and who can cover other events at times to assist other team coaches. This is why we often wait until the team is selected to appoint the coaches.
Applicants familiar with high level competitions. The World Championships are elite competitions and require support staff who are accustomed to the requirements of these meetings.
- Applicants who have experience coaching a squad of athletes with a variety of needs, a centre team or experience on development trips to observe how they operate with other coaches and athletes in a team environment.
- Applicants who will work as part of the team. In the past we have found some coaches who have athletes in the team, subconsciously treat their athlete differently.
- Management and Coaches, who at times can be firm with athletes whose behavior is sometimes inappropriate.
- We often need a balance of male and female management staff in order to suit the team requirements.
Not every applicant will meet the aforementioned criteria, but this it is what we are aiming for. If the overall applicants for a team position do not meet our needs, we will extend our search and invite others to apply.
The selection panel includes Athletics New Zealand staff members with experience managing teams, coach development and high performance. The group also confers with the CEO if necessary. The appointments are then approved by the Athletics New Zealand Board of Directors.