WHAT IS CARDING?
Athlete carding is available to athletes in targeted sports and sports which receive campaign investment from HPSNZ. An eligible athlete who is deemed important for the achievement of Athletics New Zealand High Performance (ANZ-HP) and HPSNZ goals can be ‘carded.’ Being a carded athlete means you receive an allocation of resources and funding to support you and your coach. The level of support available to carded athletes is determined by the athlete’s carding level and individual performance plan (IPP), taking into consideration best practice and the availability of ANZ-HP/HPSNZ resources.
An Athlete's Level of carding is aligned with the following principals:
Level 1 – "2020 Podium Olympic Games (OGs)" or "Elite Para" Athletes
- Able-bodied: Tracking towards a 2020 OGs podium result based on performances at recent pinnacle competitions.
- Para-Athletes: Ranked in the Top 3 across all Para classes for an event for their gender
Level 2 – Performance 2020 “Campaign Athletes”
- Able-bodied: Tracking towards a 2020 OGs Top 8 result or young/emerging athletes deemed capable of a 2024 OGs podium result based on performances at recent pinnacle competitions.
- Para-Athletes: Ranked in the Top 8 across all Para classes for an event for their gender.
Level 3 – Performance Development “Carded Athletes”
- Able-bodied: Achieved a carding standard for their age, demonstrating performance behaviours and effective support structures indicating they are capable of a Top 8 result at a World Championships (WCs) or OGs during their career i.e. generally transitioning from the Performance Potential Squad (PPS).
- Para-Athletes: Ranked outside the Top 8 across all Para classes for an event for their gender, but demonstrating performance behaviours, an effective support structure and the physical capacity to achieve a podium result at WCs or Paralympic Games (PGs).