Athletics New Zealand High Performance
2020 Relays Statement
Men’s & Women’s 4x100m
For the 2017-2020 Olympic cycle, Athletics New Zealand (Athletics NZ) will support initiatives that reinforce the establishment of the “NZ Baton Changing System” successfully adopted at the 2016 U20 Championships in Bydgoszcz, Poland.
The rationale behind this approach is the belief that having a “NZ Baton Changing System” that is regularly practiced by our national squads/teams, and hopefully adopted at all levels within NZ, will provide the best chance for NZ sprinters to qualify for and be competitive at International Championships/Games.
This type of approach has proven to be successfully introduced in countries such as Japan, Poland and Brazil.
Some key steps in rolling-out this approach include:
- Select and send 4x100m Relay Squads to the 2017 World University Games (2017 WUGs) providing they meet the selection requirements established for that competition.
- Coaches for the 2017 WUGs Men’s and Women’s 4x100m Relay Teams will be appointed by the end of January 2017. These coaches will liaise with 2017 WUGs eligible athletes to coordinate efforts to qualify and prepare for the Games. Providing their respective squad qualifies, the intention is that these coaches will be included in the 2017 WUGs Team Management to coordinate their relay squad/s at the Games.
- During January 2017, relay training opportunities will be coordinated by Kerry Hill. These opportunities are intended to grow the “spirit” of the squads for all athletes that may be involved in the 2019 IAAF World Relays (2019 WRs) teams.
- From February 2017 onward, the Relay opportunities will be conducted by the 2017 WUGs Relay Coaches in consultation with Kerry Hill regarding the “NZ Baton Changing System”. These opportunities will target athletes that are eligible for the 2017 WUGs, but will also be inclusive of all athletes that may be involved in 2019 WRs teams if they are available.
- Select and send 4x100m Relay Squads to the 2018 IAAF World Under 20 Championships (2018 U20 WCs) providing they meet the selection requirements established for that competition based on a capable of Top 16 placing philosophy.
- Coaches for the 2018 U20 WCs Men’s and Women’s 4x100m Relay Teams will be appointed in November 2017.
- Due to the 2018 Commonwealth Games quota and New Zealand Olympic Committee’s capable of Top 3 philosophy for teams, it is not likely that Athletics NZ will be in a position to nominate Relay Teams for this competition.
- Select and send 4x100m Relay Squads to the 2019 IAAF World Relays (2019 WRs) providing they meet the selection requirements established for that competition based on a capable of Top 16 placing philosophy.
- Coaches for the 2019 WRs Men’s and Women’s 4x100m Relay Teams will be appointed in November 2018.
Men’s & Women’s 4x400m
Athletics NZ has no plans in place to provide support to either a Men’s or Women’s 4x400m during the 2017-2020 Olympic Cycle. However, we will revisit this position at the end of the 2016-2017 domestic season based on a review of domestic season performances.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Teams