The Athletics New Zealand #throwlikeagirl programme aims to support young women and their coaches to develop skills that can lead to success both within and outside of the Athletics arena.
The Athletics New Zealand Throw like a Girl programme will cater specifically to the needs of young female athletes and their coaches, aiming to:
- Develop each athlete’s physical, mental, social and leadership skills
- Remove barriers to participation in throws events (shot put, javelin, discus and hammer) for young women
- Provide an athlete-centred environment
- Support existing coach/athlete relationships to grow the capability and capacity of the throwing events with our athletics communities
We want everyone to have a chance to join in and are excited to be able to offer these sessions for free! They will be led by world-class coaches Kirsten Hellier and John Eden, both who have represented New Zealand in throws on the world stage. You do not need to be a member of an Athletics Club to attend.
Click here to read more from Kirsten Hellier on the inspiration for the programme and its name.
Click here to download the programme flyer.
As of April 10, 2019, the following sessions are being held:
Mondays 4-6pm with John Eden
Papakura Athletics Track
Ron Keat Dr, Papakura, 2110
Tuesdays 4.30pm - 6.30pm with Kirsten Hellier
Pakuranga Athletics Track
36 & 38 Cascades Rd, Pakuranga
Heights, Auckland 2010
For more information call:
- Kirsten Hellier: 021826233
- John Eden: 021344522