ATHLETICS CANTERBURY DEVELOPMENT SQUAD POLICY
BACKGROUND Athletics Canterbury has had a Development Squad in some format for a number of years - each has provided benefits and we thank all previous squad managers who have given time and energy to support athlete and coach development. The current format is not saying the past has been wrong - it is saying we have been and are going through challenging times and need to relook at how we are doing things. Are we doing the right things for todays athletes?
STRUCTURE The current Athletics Canterbury Development Squad has four tiers - High Performance, Senior Development, Development and Junior. These are explained in more detail on the page listing squad members.
PURPOSE The Canterbury Development Squad is a group of committed and promising athletes who are in transition from the junior to the senior ranks of the sport.
The squad exists to:
- promote the pursuit of excellence in athletics with more athletes progressing from club to centre to top level NZ representation.
- to encourage more athletes to stay in athletics longer to provide the competition to get more athletes to the top level
- to provide a support system for athletes and coaches for their development to achieve the level of performance they wish to achieve
SELECTION Athletes selected for the Squad will:
- be registered with the Canterbury Centre.
- have achieved success at provincial and national level.
- have demonstrated high commitment to athletics through training and competition.
- be willing and able to participate in Squad activities.
Selections for the squad will be made by the squad managers and confirmed by the Executive Committee of Athletics Canterbury.
The squad will include athletes from track, field, cross country, and road running.
ACTIVITIES The Squad managers will:
- identify development needs of Squad athletes and coaches
- plan activities to meet needs on a group or individual basis
COACHES Coaches will be frequently consulted and are welcome to join in with any Squad activities.
The new squad managers are:
Anita Sutherland (convener)
Athletics Canterbury Development Squad Nomination Form
The development squad managers endeavor to keep up to date with results. If an athlete has been over looked for nomination into the squad, please fill out the nomination form and send to one of the management team. NB: The nomination form will be updated and linked on this page as soon as possible.